On a chilly December weekend I bought some free-range chicken (I am not a huge meat eater but was oddly craving some chicken) and after some recipe reading I made this come together. The results were a super gingery perfectly baked dish. I paired the chicken with sprouted brown rice (I mentioned this in an earlier post) which I mixed with spinach and topped with steamed carrots. Hearty Meal!
3 free range chicken’s breasts
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
2 large garlic cloves, peeled & minced
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish (that perfectly fits the chicken – so that it can cook in this tasty gingery sauce)
- In the small part of your food processor mix the honey, mustard, water, ginger & garlic.
- Pour the mix over the chicken breasts, making sure you lift them up a bit so some of the sauce can nestle under the meat.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve one chicken breast per person with some of the cooking sauce drizzled over the top of the chicken.
Brown Rice with Spinach & Carrots
3 carrots, sliced into one-inch chunks
2 c. cooked brown rice
4 c. spinach
2 Tbsp mild extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
2 tsp soy sauce
Juice of one lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small bunch of basil, leaves only
- Cook up your rice.
- Steam carrots until they are cooked and slightly firm, or however you like them (6 to 8 minutes).
- Once tender, remove from the heat and, if necessary, drain off any excess water. Add the spinach and stir until the spinach has just wilted. Now simply add all the other ingredients, stir well to combine and serve.