With the coming of the New Year many of us reflect on the past year and set intentions moving forward. For many, this means a new (or renewed) commitment to look after ourselves… to nourish our bodies. With that, here is a recipe that, while raw, finds a way to warm the spirits. I hope that 2015 brings you amazing health and all the joy your hearts can handle!
Raw Pad Thai
· Vegetable Options (Substitute as you like. Makes 6 cups total)
· 2 medium zucchinis, julienned (cut into match sticks) or made into noodles in a spiral slicer
· 1 large carrot, julienned or made into noodles in a spiral slicer
· ½ cup thinly sliced red onion*, or green onion
· ½ red and ½ yellow pepper, thinly sliced
· 1 cup slivered red cabbage
· 1 green apple, julienned
· ¾ cup finely chopped cauliflower
· 3 Tbc. grated coconut
Almond Chili Sauce:
· 3 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
· 1 lemon, juiced (2-3Tbsp)
· 1 small clove of garlic (if you love garlic use 2)
· 4 dates, soaked for approximately 2 hours
· 4 Tbsp. nama shoyu or tamari
· 1 inch (2 ½ cm) ginger, peeled and chopped
· 1 tsp tamarind paste
· 1 tsp herbamare
· ¼ tsp cayenne, I also threw in a dash of red pepper flakes.
· ½ cup raw almond butter
· ½ cup water (for thinning)
Chop/spiralize/julienne the veggies into a large bowl.
Blend the sauce ingredients until smooth. Pour over veggies just before serving, toss and enjoy.
Optional garnishes: sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, peanuts, bean sprouts….
*Handy red onion tip: I used green onion for this recipe however you can used red onion. If you don’t like the bite that comes with red onion try this simple step, it tames the bite and mellows out the flavor of red onions. Peel and slice the red onion as called for in your recipe, then submerge it in a bowl of cold water. Let sit for at least ten minutes, stirring once or twice, before draining and using in your recipe. How does this work? The sulfur compounds responsible for that harsh “biting” flavor and onion’s powerful aftertaste dissipate into the water from the cut surfaces of the onion.